Monday, July 03, 2006

Super fast update

So I didn’t have time to tell you all that I was out of town last week. I was on trip number 2 of 3 – to Grand Junction, CO. I was there with 7 of our jr. high girls, and let me just tell you – while they are sweet and adorable, they are SO.MUCH.WORK. Four of them were just out of sixth grade, therefore they haven’t spent a lot of time away from home and therefore I have to pay a lot of attention to what they’re doing and not doing. I’m pretty tired. I decided that when I have kids, I’m going to go on a trip right around the time they turn 10 and come back when they’re about 15.

Anyway. We went to a lot of urban sites around Grand Junction and helped out at places like Habitat for Humanity, the Salvation Army, the Catholic Outreach soup kitchen, a shelter for homeless families, an after school place for teens who need to be away from their families, and a nursing home, just to name a few. My favorite place by far was the nursing home. I volunteered in the Alzheimer’s unit for two days and had the best time ever. I love Alzheimer’s patients because they’re hilarious. I mean yes, I know it’s a really sad disease – my grandma had it for years and finally died of it in 2001 – but THEY don’t know it’s sad and so you might as well laugh about it or you’ll just end up being sad all the time. It was great. It made me think that maybe I could be an activities director for people with Alzheimer’s – I’m not so much on the nursing side of things, but the interacting with people side is totally my thing. Who knows.

So I’m home for the week and then I leave for camp in Montana on Saturday. I may try and write some more before then, but I have a ton to do this week. I’m going to Sally & Joe’s for the 4th tomorrow night and then Wednesday, Joe and Mandy and I are going to see Jason Mraz in concert. Thursday I pick up my friend Chris at the airport (he’s been teaching in Croatia all year) and we are hanging out at my house until we leave to be camp counselors up in Montana. My social calendar is clearly just chock full o’fun. Ha. Anyway, hope everyone is doing well and I’m sure I’ll have some great camp pictures when I get back!!

10 comments:

kris said...

I totally understand - I used to work as an activities director in a nursing home and LOVED it! :) Good for you - these sorts of things are good for the soul.

Charles Caldwell said...

Whooosh... I am tired just reading this post. I need to go have a nap... please keep doing what you're doing...!

Cheryl said...

What a busy girl you are and have been. Sounds like you definitely have something to think about for the future.

Have fun with your activites. I have heard Jason Mraz is a great concert.

Leesa said...

Look out for bears in MT!

Amanda said...

enjoy the summer travel. ah, to be free...

i give you a ton of credit for having that attitude toward dealing with alzheimers patients, many people lack those sort of patients.

Amanda said...

wait i meant patience. haha

JillWrites said...

Enjoy it!

Janet said...

I just was to let you know that I am still reading though I don't have much more to say other than, "Have fun!"

Marissa said...

You are so busy, girl! Good for you - I love living vicariously through you. Continue to the do-gooder, and I'll be the do-gooder by association! Hehe. :) Kidding, of course (sort of). I love your updates. Keep 'em coming when you can! xoxo

Antonio said...

Kudos on all the charity work. Dealing with children and old people takes a lot of patience, something a lot of people could use more of (including me).