Wednesday, February 16, 2005

A story about two things I love -- my friends...and Jordano.

On the spur of the moment, we decided to go to Cafe Jordano for dinner last night. Now, in case you haven't a) read Kendra's blog extolling the fabulousness that is Jordano, or b) *gasp* never been there, let me tell you about it. It is a little place in the strip mall by Safeway, sandwiched in between a bread store and a Chinese restaurant that was closed (twice) because they don't believe in paying rent, apparently.

Anyway, I was introduced to the wonder that is Jordano by Sally and Joe, and it is one of my favorite places. It serves Italian food, which admittedly, I don't generally like. However, it is NORTHERN Italian food, which means it's not all about marinara or alfredo sauce. Don't get me wrong, you can have things with marinara or alfredo, but it's not on everything. They have a fairly extensive menu of things ranging from seafood to buffalo, but I really can't remember the last time I looked at a menu. Why? Because I will always get Mark's Favorite. It is thin pieces of chicken breast in a white wine and butter sauce with artichoke hearts and mushrooms. Kendra always gets Barb's Favorite (also known as Pasta Barbaresca, which is how she always orders it now ever since a near tragic debacle before the Prince concert last year when I ordered takeout and the person taking the order must have thought I had a Jersey accent and gave me BOB's favorite and not BARB's favorite -- she no longer takes chances with Barb) and Karen always gets Eggplant Parmesan. As does Becki, if she's in town. Fascinating, isn't it? Karen keeps pretending she's going to order something new, even last night when she's like "I think I'll get something diff-- I'm getting the eggplant." She gets points for trying, anyway.

What's great about Jordano is that if you go there enough, just like anywhere, they know you. Our waiter is often Aaron, who we went to high school with and who Sally refers to as "that cute boy Aaron" and he usually comments if he hasn't seen me for a couple of weeks. Yes, weeks. I go there a lot. Kendra refers to me as "the 'Norm' of Cafe Jordano." There's another waitress there who knows Sally and Joe really well and one time I was there with Dan and I wanted to get wine and I couldn't remember the name of it. So I asked her what wine I always get and she told me. I love that.

Anyway, the reason we went was because Karen and I had to settle up on a bet we made with Kendra (I would be a sore loser, but I got to eat too, so who cares, really) and I love doing stuff with my girls. We don't get to as much as I wish we did, and it was fun. And then Kendra and I finished the evening by going to Walgreens and dropping about $50 apiece on various beauty products and the Oprah magazine. Ah... Jordano and Walgreens. Happy.

2 comments:

KC said...

Good times, fun times. Seriously, that was a good night. If only Aaron had been our waiter...but I loved the waitress who "was a waitress at the Last Supper" - how cute was she???

BB said...

Sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo jealous! One time, they ran out of eggplant and I almost died. Theeeeen, the beautiful people of Jordano just shimmied on up to Safeway to get me an eggplant and all was right in the world again. LOVE THEM.