Thursday, November 30, 2006

Things you may or may not have wanted to know

So. I’ve started writing this post about a billion times, but always delete it after a couple of tries because apparently? I’ve lost all ability to write.

Anyway. My boy. His name is Chris (he gets no nickname, because I’ve mentioned him by name already here – you know, because it didn’t occur to me then that we’d end up together) and we’ve been together a little over a month. Sandra Dee wanted to know what our first three dates were, and I’m actually not sure. I know the first time we went out, the first time we kissed, and the second time we went out, but as for an actual “date”, I don’t know. We go out to dinner and breakfast and lunch and he mostly always pays (which is totally nice), so maybe those were considered dates. Who knows.

The thing is, we were totally comfortable around each other from the very beginning. The first time he came over, we sat and talked forever. And that pretty much hasn’t stopped. If we’re not together, we talk on the phone all the time – and our conversations last for like an hour. We were watching a movie at home last night, and we pretty much missed the whole thing because we got to talking about something. I’ve told him more stuff in a month than I’ve told pretty much anyone I’ve dated over the entire course of our relationship.

That’s probably one of the things that attracts me to him. The fact that we can talk and we are actually friends, not just “dating”. He makes me laugh and he’ll be silly with me, which is important – I can’t be with someone who takes themselves totally seriously. He’s got beautiful blue eyes and really long, dark eyelashes, which is also a plus. He calls when he says he will, he makes me a priority, and he tells me all the time how beautiful and how great I am. Seriously, who doesn’t love THAT?

It’s a strange situation, because while things have gone pretty fast, it’s also kind of slow, if that makes any sense. Like we spend all of our free time together pretty much, but no one is in a hurry to rush to the next level, whatever that might be.

I know he’s occasionally freaked out about stuff, which is fine because he always tells me about it. And when I freak out, I can tell him. That’s a good thing. It’s funny, because often times what I freak out about is him just leaving without warning one day (gee, can’t imagine where THAT fear came from), but at the same time, I also freak out a little bit that he WON’T leave and we’ll be together for a long time. Yes, I’m an idiot. It’s not that I don’t want to be with him, because I do, it’s just been a long time since I’ve dated someone long term and it’s kind of a scary pool to jump into again.

For now, we just go one day at a time. Actually, he told me that I can make concrete plans for this quarter, and we can talk about next quarter. Which is fine and also totally makes me laugh. So our plans are basically to spend as much time together as we can. He stays at my house pretty much all the time (and no, he’s not homeless – he has a house) and I’ll tell you what else is weird in a cool way. His contact case and toothbrush in the bathroom. His shirts hanging in the closet. His clothes mixed in with mine in the laundry. It’s nice to have his presence there even when he’s not.

So. As far as plans go, we're going to get a Christmas tree tonight so that he can watch me obsessively vacuum up pine needles for the next month...I mean, so we have some Christmas Spirit. In a couple of weeks, he’s going to be scrutinized by people at church when he goes with me on Christmas Eve, and also checked out by Sally and Joe and that whole crew when we go over there on Christmas Day. Sounds fun, right? He’s cool though – he can handle it.

Did I mention that he’s the best ever?

9 comments:

Beth said...

SO excited to meet him.

JillWrites said...

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!

I'm ALL FOR Happy Amber!

Awesome awesome awesome.

(But in a very level-headed, one-day-at-a-time kinda way!)

Sass said...

very cool. I'm really happy for you. Honestly, i hope you don't fall into a well because you and Mr. wonderful are so happy together.

He He.

Kidding. Of Course.

Marissa said...

YAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

How wonderful!! I am SO SO SO SO happy for you. I found myself screeching and yelping excitedly NUMEROUS times while reading this post. Really. This sounds like the start of something great. By the way, how awesome are new beginnings?! So much fun!

I can't wait to hear more!!

Janet said...

You lucky lady! Sounds like heaven (or something like it.) And long eyelashes. *swoon*.

dasi said...

Amber, I am SOOOOO happy for you!!! And I apologize for slacking on comments. I have no excuse, I have just been lazy. I'll try to be more consistent. And YOU GO, GIRL!!!! ;)

Cheryl said...

Aw! Yay! I'm so happy for you!

Spaceman Spiff said...

So this is like the 1st Noel. . . . only with the relationship and not the promised savior. Since that was like 2000 years ago and all.

Very happy for you. Snow and love in the air, that's a good combination. It's too close to Christmas to get dumped now, he'd look like a total jerk. So you are good at least until the middle of January. So next quarter at least will start off good. Make it Valentines day and you are home free for the summer. Wait, that makes it seem like there are deadlines, which there aren't. Oh crap, forget it.

I'll have to consult the Man Specifications on "Dating During the Holidays" to find out what is the appropriate constuction schedule for the relationship. I'll let you know if any major dates exist (other than Valentine's Day) for the 1st Quarter of the New Year.

kris said...

You still around, sweet girl? :)