Tuesday, January 25, 2005

No news is good news

It's January -- so why is it like 65 degrees? I'm not complaining, mind you, as I HATE to be cold, but then I start to worry about global warming. Oh, who am I kidding -- I do not. I try to never be worried about anything on a global scale. That’s why Kendra sighs and calls me “Becki” when I tell her that no, I do not watch the news and only occasionally read the paper. Neither does Becki. She refuses to support what she terms the “culture of fear” by participating in any news media outlet. My reasons are not so lofty – I’m just not entertained by the news and I get tired of hearing about crime and death and destruction. And yes, I realize that my degree is in journalism, but I think that’s when my news apathy kicked in. Perhaps it’s not so much apathy as disgust. I realized that I wanted nothing to do with the world of news, mostly because I didn’t want to be that person who accosts the mother of a murdered child and asks how they feel. The response I got to that attitude was “oh, you’ll get used to it,” and that’s when I decided – I don’t WANT to get used to it. I don’t want to be unaffected by loss and sadness and have my main goal in life be the pursuit of the next best story. I don’t want to intrude on someone’s pain for the sake of “reporting.”

Hey, don’t get me wrong -- I vote and I research the issues beforehand – but maybe I’d just rather watch “Three’s Company” reruns instead of CNN. My brother and I decided once that “Three’s Company” has a tried-and-true formula – there’s a wacky misunderstanding, hijinks ensue, with sexy results (and if you’re Tim, you wiggle your eyebrows when you say “sexy results.”). Even though CNN probably has plenty of wacky misunderstandings, and perhaps hijinks may ensue, it’s not nearly as funny. Like last night, on “Three’s Company” when Jack got a fake mustache because Larry convinced him that it was a surefire way to get hot chicks? It followed the formula perfectly. There’s also a lot of physical comedy. Unlike CNN. There’s never any good physical comedy on there.

So let’s sum up: Warm weather in January leads to thoughts of global warming leading to thoughts of why I don’t watch the news leading to what I watch in lieu of the news. Unfortunately, there were no hijinks during the writing of my blog. There are a sad lack of hijinks at my office today. Maybe I'll dream up a wacky misunderstanding and then throw in some physical comedy for good measure...

2 comments:

KC said...

Holy stream of consciousness! I was waiting for, "My mother is a fish." :)

BB said...

Good news is an oxymoron. Kind of like, hey team, that was a good meeting. Also an oxymoron. Oymoron. That's a fun word.