Tuesday, September 20, 2005

He's born to Shine

Here is Vannie's senior picture. It sits in the edge of a frame that holds the card Sally gave me with the verse on it that I love. All his poses have him with at least one piece of his beloved drum set. The picture doesn't do him justice, but he always had this mischievious set to his mouth, like he was trying to hide a smile over something he did that he wasn't supposed to. Or that he was just trying not to smile, but could barely contain it.



















Check out the flower girl and ring bearer at our Aunt Felicia's wedding. How cute is he? And yes, my hair is feathered and I'm wearing shiny turquoise taffeta or something. It was 1985. He's five and I'm nine.


















Here we are on the front steps of my house. My grandparents brought him out to visit and we did all kinds of fun stuff. Like sitting on the steps while my mom took one of her signature photos where she barely gets us into the shot.Good work, mom. I think we're six and two here.


















This picture isn't very clear, but I love it because he's such the man in his little cowboy boots. He's two or three here.

4 comments:

Tim Hillegonds said...

Very nice...Love the feathered look. Isnt that coming back?

dasi said...

Gosh, Amber, your voice is BEAUTIFUL. I just listened to your song. And in reading these posts and looking at the pictures, I was reminded of my Uncle John. He died when he was 32, my mom's youngest brother, and I was 17. We were really close, and I could relate to your story so much it brought tears to my eyes, even after almost 20 years.

The hurt never goes away, you know, but it does hide for a while if you let it after time. And I still think of my uncle as I'm sure you do your cousin, and I still miss him terribly, but I try to do more smiling at the memories instead of crying at the loss of him. And the coolest thing of all is watching my brother with Lexie, because I see my Uncle John and me in them all the time. Look for your cousin in the people you love, because he is there, you know… and always, ALWAYS in your heart.

Miladysa said...

What more can I say? I go with Dasi :)

Marie said...

I love these pictures. You look so close.